Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year. No Hair.

I just thought that some of you would like to know that I got my head shaved today. And when I say shaved, I mean all of it.
I am now a skinhead and it's actually kinda cool. Literally. Just a slight breeze hitting my scalp actually feels like someone's rubbing ice up against my skin.
If you know me, you know that I change my hairstyle a lot. I dyed my hair around 5 times this year. Red to light brown which turned blonde to reddish brown which turned to blonde again to dark brown which again turned blonde then finally jet black. I also got an undercut sometime in October. 
Just a few of my hair choices from 2011
Now, even if you don't know me, you get the idea that I take risks with my hair. The thing is though, I have never ever had no hair at all on my head... at least by my own volition.
I have thought about it at some points. Scratch that, I've actually thought about it quite a lot, I've just never gone through with it.
So now your question is: Why cut it all off now?
Answer: Stress.
Yes, stress. My hair was falling due to extreme stress. I didn't notice the hairfall until my mom pointed out that I had a bald spot the size of a thumbnail near the front of my scalp the night before my final exams (thanks so much, mom). At first we were laughing about it. Then I started to panic. At the time, of course, I had absolutely no idea why my hair was falling so I jumped to all kinds of conclusions.
So anyway, I went to the doctor a day after my final exam and she explained that my case was fairly common. She gave me medications and injected the affected area.
Next few days, I noticed the rate of my hairfall was rapidly increasing. And I don't mean like above the average 50 strands of hair per day, I mean like chunks of hair that I could roll into mini balls of yarn. Everyday. After a shower. While I sleep. Running my hands through my hair. Chunks of hair.
Out of frustration and probably a dose of panic, I decided that I was going to shave my head.
So I did.
And now here we are, you reading about why I shaved my head, and me wearing a beanie to keep my head warm.
For some reason, I'm not as weirded out by my baldness as much as I'm weirded out by the normalcy of it. And ok, the pictures I posted are in black and white... kind of. I'm not ready to show you how pale my scalp is yet.
What do you think about my new found hairlessness? Bang or bust?

2 comments: