Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hunger Games Book vs Movie? [No spoilers from either, I promise.]

If you didn't already know, I am a HUGE Hunger Games fan. I've read the entire series five times and I'm probably going to read it again some time soon. Yes, I'm that much of an addict... or that much of a bookworm. You decide. 
So anyway, I was able to score tickets for the premiere of Hunger Games on March 22nd, thanks to DLSU Outdoor Club and Hunger Games Philippines.

Then I watched it a second time the next night with my family.
I watched it twice in two days and I still want to watch it all over again. But here's the thing, it's not as faithful to the book as I wanted it to be.
Don't get me wrong, I loved the movie and I think it was awesome; it's just that there were characters that they didn't feature in the movie who I think were so important in the book. They didn't spend enough time showcasing the build up of certain relationships. And they did leave out a lot of mini-events from the book. It was an extremely compressed version of the book. 
I know, I know. There is no possible way to make the movie exactly like it's written in the books and how everyone envisioned it in their heads. Especially since the book was so detailed.
The only real disappointment for me was Katniss and Peeta's costumes while they were on their chariots. It was so extremely lacking in the "boom factor".
The up side is, though. As different as it was from the book, I wasn't disappointed. So here's a tip for all of you who are just about to watch the movie and have read the book: Don't hold on too tightly to the book version as you're watching the film. Just lay back and enjoy it as the games come to life.
Hope this helps and (what kind of fan would I be if I didn't say it?) MAY THE ODDS BE EVER ON YOUR FAVOR!

No comments:

Post a Comment